BLOGGING FOR HEALTHCARE REFORM

And maybe more...

Deaths from Uninsured or Underinsured 2

How You Can Show Your Support

ATTEND AN AUGUST EVENT If you see healthcare reform as an important issue, perhaps the most important issue in decades, you may be getting frustrated and wondering how you can make your views known. One way is to contact your lawmakers (see sidebar). Another is to attend an event. Opponents of healthcare reform are organizing to show up at town hall meetings all over the country, and where they are in the minority, they sit in strategic spots in the audience and interrupt the speaker. They've already caught the attention of the media. Free speech is fine, but we can't allow a minority of shouters to monopolize the debate. Go to the above site and commit to attending one event in the month of August.

Blogging About Healthcare and maybe more...

How does that ad go? "This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, it's a human issue." They're talking about the environment, but it could apply to healthcare reform as well, at least in the US. That's not altruism for the 48 million and counting uninsured. It's good old American "what's in it for me" thinking for both the uninsured and the currently insured who could find themselves uninsured at any moment.

Even if you've already taken sides on healthcare reform––especially if you have––I urge you to read these posts and simply consider these points. I have a writing blog and a book review blog, and I swore I'd never add my voice to the cacophony of angry voices blogging on politics. Only there are so many people adding their voices who don't have a clue what they are talking about, that I figured my more than 10 years experience working in benefits––most of it looking for ways to contain costs without cutting benefits––might actually add something to the conversation (if you can call it that).

I promise not to make statements I can't back up with experience or research. In return I ask that you approach my posts with an open mind, and when you comment, which I hope you will, make the comments civil so that they invite further discussion. Also, please comment on this blog rather than dragging the discussion to your own blogs, so that we can all take part.

I'm open to guest posts on either side, so long as they are well-informed and cite sources. Contact me

Sunday, August 16, 2009

There Is Still Hope of Reform: Maybe Quite a Bit

I spent Saturday collecting signatures in support of President Obama's plan for healthcare reform at a local farmer's market. We collected over 150 signatures in just three hours. We probably would have collected even more, but it was broiling hot and we couldn't set up our table in the shade, because we would be soliciting within the market, so we left about 45 minutes before closing.

Not only did we collect a lot of signatures, the people who signed were vehemently in favor, not just tepid. When I'd ask people if they wanted to sign, they'd often reply "Absolutely" after which I was always expecting a "not" that didn't come. Some people politely refused, and some few didn't even know what it was about, but I'd say 80% of the people I asked, signed.

There were a handful of vehement opponents. One fellow volunteer ran into a woman who argued for several minutes, but as often happens, her points were broad ones about too much government etc. etc. Nothing specific to healthcare reform, and she and her husband were pretty obviously Medicare recipients. Which I always find kind of odd. They will tell you what a mess Medicare is, but I don't see anyone saying they are willing to give it up.

Of course, I expected that my venue at a farmer's market might be a little more cushy than others. Frequenters of farmer's markets tend to be more liberal, but the point is, those people are out there, even if we aren't seeing them on TV, and the volunteer who was there last week said they didn't do nearly as well, which may show that all that anger is really moving people in the opposite direction. Supporters who took reform for granted are realizing they need to stand up to get noticed. Based on their zip code, the signatures will go directly to their senators and representatives. So now they don't need to sit through raucous meetings where their representative won't get to speak anyway.

Besides the numbers there were other things I found gratifying about my experience. Watching TV I had begun to believe most Americans were stupid. I didn't think these shouters were stupid because they disagreed with my point of view but because of their reasons. Things like death panels and calling the reforms socialized medicine or saying this is a step toward Communism had no connection, not only to the real bills before Congress, but to the real world. Yesterday, many of the supporters gave me real and solid reasons for their support, not just tag lines spewed by the administration.

Many of those signing my petition worked in healthcare. We had two physicians and several nurses and medical social workers. We also had a two men retired from the marketing side of the medical insurance industry.

I also appreciated those people who were undecided and asked reasonable and cogent questions. None of them signed my petition based on our discussion, but I knew they were weighing the facts not the hype. If they were the only people standing in the way of reform, at least I'd find it easier to accept.

But there was one very disconcerting moment when one young woman said she was glad to hear they were at least doing away with the "death counseling" for old people. "Of course, you know what that really is?" I asked (knowing she didn't). "If a person over 65, at any time, voluntarily wanted to be counseled about care options at the end of life, the doctor would be paid for that hour or whatever he spent with that person." Her reply was, "but to have it decided by a committee." I only hope she saw my look of utter disbelief before I told her, "there was never anything in the bill about committees. What I explained is all there was to it."

I don't know if I got through before her baby's fussing caught her attention. One step forward, two steps back.


If you want to help collect signatures or other things to help reform along, check out this site, but while it was set up by the many people behind the Obama campaign, remember, this is not about Barack Obama. Whether you were an avid or tepid supporter of his campaign, or voted for John McCain or voted for no one at all, this is about healthcare reform for all Americans, not just Democrats.

2 comments:

CashewElliott/John said...

If I did this, the value would be exclusively in redeeming my view of my fellow citizens. That could be nice. But, yeah, given the demographic of the local farmers market, I could collect signatures to petition the city council to use tax money to build a late term abortion clinic.

Unknown said...

If this goes down I have to feel like I did everything I possibly could short of violence. And some days....