BLOGGING FOR HEALTHCARE REFORM

And maybe more...

Deaths from Uninsured or Underinsured 2

How You Can Show Your Support

ATTEND AN AUGUST EVENT If you see healthcare reform as an important issue, perhaps the most important issue in decades, you may be getting frustrated and wondering how you can make your views known. One way is to contact your lawmakers (see sidebar). Another is to attend an event. Opponents of healthcare reform are organizing to show up at town hall meetings all over the country, and where they are in the minority, they sit in strategic spots in the audience and interrupt the speaker. They've already caught the attention of the media. Free speech is fine, but we can't allow a minority of shouters to monopolize the debate. Go to the above site and commit to attending one event in the month of August.

Blogging About Healthcare and maybe more...

How does that ad go? "This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, it's a human issue." They're talking about the environment, but it could apply to healthcare reform as well, at least in the US. That's not altruism for the 48 million and counting uninsured. It's good old American "what's in it for me" thinking for both the uninsured and the currently insured who could find themselves uninsured at any moment.

Even if you've already taken sides on healthcare reform––especially if you have––I urge you to read these posts and simply consider these points. I have a writing blog and a book review blog, and I swore I'd never add my voice to the cacophony of angry voices blogging on politics. Only there are so many people adding their voices who don't have a clue what they are talking about, that I figured my more than 10 years experience working in benefits––most of it looking for ways to contain costs without cutting benefits––might actually add something to the conversation (if you can call it that).

I promise not to make statements I can't back up with experience or research. In return I ask that you approach my posts with an open mind, and when you comment, which I hope you will, make the comments civil so that they invite further discussion. Also, please comment on this blog rather than dragging the discussion to your own blogs, so that we can all take part.

I'm open to guest posts on either side, so long as they are well-informed and cite sources. Contact me

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Healthcare Cost Containment: A Short History Part I––The Doctors

When it comes to current events, Americans lack a sense of history. In the past 30 years I've seen run away healthcare inflation blamed first on the doctors, then on consumers, then lawyers, and then on the insurance industry, as though there can exist only one villain at a time, and forgetting that the prior set of issues were never remedied before we moved on to the next set. I'm now realizing that my career in medical benefits followed the trajectory of cost containment efforts. So here's a little bit of history on what brought us to this point.

In his book, Dr. Howard Dean makes the interesting point that most of the existing healthcare systems of the industrialized nations hearken back to the situations they found themselves in post-WW II. The UK, for example, had no remaining healthcare infrastructure while citizens were in dire need of medical care. The government had no choice but to take over the healthcare system, which they have since continued, not just out of tradition but because they made it work. In the US employers began offering healthcare coverage as a free benefit when wage controls prevented salary increases. Unfortunately for us, what seemed like a good idea at the time has turned into a failure.

When I began working as a medical claims examiner in the late 70s, first with New York Life and then John Hancock, the system that had been in place for some 30-plus years was just beginning to show signs of unraveling. With the exception of Blue Cross-Blue Shield, most employer healthcare products at the time were sold by life insurance companies. As they were not big money-makers they were bundled with more lucrative group life insurance plans.

Back then there were generally only two types of plans. One was straight "Major Medical," a plan with a deductible (standardly $100). After meeting that deductible (which sounds ludicrously low, but remember with lower costs it could take quite some time to meet), the insurer paid 80% of the charge, the insured, 20%. The second type of plan was a mix of "Basic" and "Major Med." Under these plans basic flat fees were paid for certain services according a schedule. E.g. an office visit might qualify for $15. Charges over that amount then fell into the Major Med portion subject to deductibles and coinsurance. Attesting to the vast changes in medical care in just three decades, we actually had a schedule listing a fee for just about every medical service, test, or procedure offered at the time. We rarely received a claim for anything not on the schedule, and the majority of services and procedures recurred so frequently that we were able to memorize the payments. The most important thing to note here, however, is that while the payments might be divided between insurer and insured, the provider always received 100% of the charge, usually without question.

Toward the end of the 70s, several factors came together causing insurance companies and the Carter administration to start looking for ways to contain medical costs.

  • A new generation of doctors didn't know what it was to charge patients directly or wonder if they could pay. With faceless insurance companies picking up the tab, there was no reason for providers––doctors or hospitals––not to pad the bills a little here and there.
  • With the growing use of antibiotics, development of vaccines, and new drugs and procedures being discovered every day, the public began to see doctors and hospitals as a way to a cure rather than pronouncers of imminent death. Consumers visited their doctors more regularly, underwent more surgeries, and became more demanding of services.
  • New developments led to an explosion of new specialities, and more and more young med students began choosing the more lucrative and generally less demanding specialties (and in fairness, they were probably more mentally challenging as well), over general practice.
Employers' cheap added benefit was quickly turning into a very expensive one and they began leaning on insurance companies to do something about it. Thus were born the first "reasonable and customary" restrictions, complicated formulas imposed on charges––usually physicians' charges––to determine if they were too high. The problem was, it didn't have teeth. Only Blue Cross-Blue Shield required doctors to accept the reasonable and customary fee for assigned benefits (benefits paid directly rather than reimbursed to the patient), and many physicians began pulling out of the Blues because of it. Most insurers would simply send statements to the doctor and patient stating what charges were excluded.

I suppose the notion was that the insured would get wise to the physicians and call them out on it. Only, in those days arguing with doctors was like arguing with the Pope. They were considered infallible and they were not beyond excommunication. So patients usually picked up the charge after giving poor claims examiners like myself an earful. Or else the doctor would send some twenty-five page medical report to dazzle us with detail and get us to to reconsider, which, more often than not, is what occurred.

And that, my children, is how the first feeble attempts at healthcare cost containment failed. It is also why a favor a managed care or at least an outcomes-based component of any new reform plan.

Part II will be about the healthcare consumer as villain. However, in between I may not be able to resist focusing on some of the wild lies out there meant to scare people off reform.

3 comments:

CashewElliott/John said...

I just got your comment about this blog. It looks impressive, and I'm excited to read them. I haven't been on my blog or any other thing that has a scent of health care debate on it for a couple weeks I think. I've been spending most of my time looking into moving out of the country, actually, and that's not a joke. That's how cynical I've gotten about health care. It's not that I want to leave, it's that I can't really afford not to.

I'll catch up on your blog soon. It's a busy week, and next week is even busier, and the next week is my first day of new classes (including teaching for my first time, so that's somewhat exciting/stressful). I ought to be able to find time this week to catch up though.

Unknown said...

Tell me about it. I mentioned to my husband that my 23-year-old daughter should seriously consider moving to Italy as she always dreamed. A friend of mine moved there over 30 years ago and became a citizen. Back then their healthcare, compared to ours, was a joke. No more. Their outcomes are much better, it's free, and after a stint living in the States she's retiring there because she has several health problems and won't have to pay a penny.

CashewElliott/John said...

I agree with your opinion that we overuse health care services. It blows my mind how fast the doc will put you on various pills. I've seen this up close and personal in the past month.

I grew up in a house where I probably swallowed a total of 10 pills before age 15 - most of those were vitamins. I remember having a headache and telling friends as a young teenager, and seeing them pull bottles of medicine out of their purses and camp-backpacks, saying, "what have you taken?" and thinking, huh?

The first time I took pain killers, I was surprised that they actually worked. The first time I remember taking them I was probably about 12. I know I had medical care at a younger age (was in hospital at a few months old for pneumonia).

We didn't go in for flu, we didn't go in for sore throat, we didn't go in for much of anything. Went to a nighttime clinic as a kid for an earache, went once for strep throat, one of the many times I had it - it was just so severe this time - went to a dermatologist when I had a rash on about 80% of my body - turned out to be poison oak from swimming in the river - and missed a week of 6th grade for it.

We were relatively healthy in our habits, and that probably helped. Our medical care for the flu was a stay at home mom who made us chicken noodle soup.

I must say, though, that we perhaps have a genetic component of strong health, strong bones, high pain tolerance, etc. My mom gets root canals without any numbing. I've had 6 cavities drilled in one sitting without. Sure, it hurts, but it's not worth the numbness for 5 hours sometimes.

As you might have seen, I was thrown from my motorcycle at highway speeds and suffered sprains (didn't even miss work). I've fallen from the sky, from perhaps 30 feet up, onto ice, while snowboarding, and knocked out my contacts and shattered my eye goggles from the impact- without breaking anything. I've built snow tracks to city rails and been dragged by friends into a snow jump before riding the steep rail over 22 uncovered cement stairs, but most of the time, I fell off and crashed all the way down the cement, without consequence.

I've been hit so hard I lost consciousness and suffered temporary amnesia in lacrosse games.

Nothing ever broken - my worst injury is a torn AC in my shoulder.

And between the 8 kids in our family, I think only one ever broke anything - an arm. And she's sort of a sissy anyway (:

So perhaps I am biased in thinking medical treatment is overused, because I happen to not need it as much as the next guy.