BLOGGING FOR HEALTHCARE REFORM

And maybe more...

Deaths from Uninsured or Underinsured 2

How You Can Show Your Support

ATTEND AN AUGUST EVENT If you see healthcare reform as an important issue, perhaps the most important issue in decades, you may be getting frustrated and wondering how you can make your views known. One way is to contact your lawmakers (see sidebar). Another is to attend an event. Opponents of healthcare reform are organizing to show up at town hall meetings all over the country, and where they are in the minority, they sit in strategic spots in the audience and interrupt the speaker. They've already caught the attention of the media. Free speech is fine, but we can't allow a minority of shouters to monopolize the debate. Go to the above site and commit to attending one event in the month of August.

Blogging About Healthcare and maybe more...

How does that ad go? "This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, it's a human issue." They're talking about the environment, but it could apply to healthcare reform as well, at least in the US. That's not altruism for the 48 million and counting uninsured. It's good old American "what's in it for me" thinking for both the uninsured and the currently insured who could find themselves uninsured at any moment.

Even if you've already taken sides on healthcare reform––especially if you have––I urge you to read these posts and simply consider these points. I have a writing blog and a book review blog, and I swore I'd never add my voice to the cacophony of angry voices blogging on politics. Only there are so many people adding their voices who don't have a clue what they are talking about, that I figured my more than 10 years experience working in benefits––most of it looking for ways to contain costs without cutting benefits––might actually add something to the conversation (if you can call it that).

I promise not to make statements I can't back up with experience or research. In return I ask that you approach my posts with an open mind, and when you comment, which I hope you will, make the comments civil so that they invite further discussion. Also, please comment on this blog rather than dragging the discussion to your own blogs, so that we can all take part.

I'm open to guest posts on either side, so long as they are well-informed and cite sources. Contact me

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Healthcare Reform: What it is and what it isn't

This post isn't going to be a refutation of those silly lies about healthcare reform like it includes death panels or is the first step on a slippery slope to Communism. The people who buy into that, or say they do, have another whole agenda that has nothing to do with healthcare, and I doubt they'd read anything that didn't feed their venom anyway.

This post is for those who think they do support healthcare reform, but might not quite understand what's going on. Talking to some supporters I'm reminded of the time a group of pre-schoolers was arguing in my back seat about whether an absent classmate was "selfish." (They said "shell fish" but I knew what they meant.) With great pride I heard my daughter take the lone position jumping to the child's defense. At home later, after beaming at the praise I lavished on her for standing up for her friend, she asked me, "Mommy, what does shell fish mean anyway?"

While I'm thrilled every time someone signs a petition or contacts a senator in support of healthcare reform, on another level it bothers me that they might be doing it simply because the plan would mean another win for Barack Obama and not because of what the plan means for America. I believe there is no more room for knee-jerk Liberals than there is for knee-jerk Conservatives when it comes to participating in Democracy. So here, in a nutshell, are some of the aspects President Obama covered in his press conference the day it was overshadowed by the last question about the arrest of Henry Lewis Gates. All of this information comes from Howard Dean's Prescription for Real Healthcare Reform and President Obama's address to members of Organizing for America on Thursday August 21 (see below).

Employer Based Coverage
The proposed program would make essentially no changes in the system we now have where most Americans are covered under contracts through their employer with private companies. The only difference would be regulation of insurance companies so that they could not deny claims for pre-existing conditions, they could not rescind coverage once you've been accepted––meaning you couldn't be dropped when you needed it most––and all insurance would have to be community rated (everyone pays the same price regardless of past illness) rather than experience rated. There will be no lifetime or annual maximums on coverage, where covered individuals reach their maximum and then become responsible for all their costs.

Public Options
You'll notice this sub-topic is plural. That's because we already have public options that will remain in place. The best known and the one that covers the most people is Medicare that covers individuals over age 65. We also have Medicaid for low-income families and the SCHIP program to provide medical coverage for uninsured children. To these existing programs would be added another option, a pool of public and private insurers individuals can choose from. Those who buy from this pool will receive a subsidy from the government.

Cost containment measures
To my mind this is probably one of the weakest areas of the proposed program. It is why I preferred single payer, because it would have allowed for a total overhaul of our entire healthcare system. We need to reform, not only the way doctor's are reimbursed, but everything from the cost of a medical education (or how much of it students must shoulder), to how doctors do business and charge insurers, to limiting and covering individuals for mistakes made by thier doctors. If we are going to put more people into the system, we need more general practitioners. We already don't have enough, so we would need to incentivize medical students to go into less lucrative general practice. We also need to change the healthcare delivery system with one MRI machine, cancer center, heart surgery center, for every so many people

As I said in another post, as frustrating as it is to some of us, that overhaul simply isn't going to happen this time around. Obama promises some plans for cost containment, like covering more "wellness" and "prevention" care. I thought that was already in most plans, but I'm thinking of standard HMOs and PPOs. It stands to reason that if insureds have a high deductible they are waiting to go to the doctor until they are sick and require treatment, so that may bring modest savings. Pooling together small businesses may give them more bargaining power. Howard Dean talks about effectiveness studies, but the results would need teeth. Improving records sharing through information technology would certainly save a bit, and, of course, bringing more, probably younger people into the group should reduce costs as well. The largest percentage of our healthcare dollars are spent on end of life care. Much of it, I think, against the better judgement of doctors, patients, and families. It's just that right now, everyone is afraid to tell the other person what they are thinking for fear of the blowback. Covering a consultation for end of life care could actually save big bucks in the end.

What Healthcare Reform is not
I think there is a misconception among both opponents and supporters that the government will be taking a major roll in providing healthcare. Unfortunately, from my point of veiw, it will not. The idea that we'll be waiting in line at healthcare clinics to see the physician assigned to us by the government and only receive government sanctioned care, as opponents believe, couldn't be more off base. That the government will provide everyone with some form of healthcare, as some supporters believe, is wrong as well. You'll still pay for your coverage if you are uninsured. Only, the hope is that you will pay affordable costs for better quality coverage.

Medicare recipients seem concerned that healthcare will be funded through Medicare cuts. Where that came from I'm not sure. However, as a society I do believe at some point we must confront what Richard Dooling calls Health Care's Generation Gap where the elderly are often over-treated while children and their parents don't get the care they need.

There is much this reform bill is not, most of it what people like me would have liked it to be. But, in the words of Walter Cronkite, "that's the way it is."

2 comments:

CashewElliott/John said...

Interesting about the end of life counseling. That's a very important part of lowering cost, I agree. Clearly the Reasonable people have chosen to use the death panels bs to stir up the unreasonable people only because it is a catchy way to do it. No insurance company can really think that end of life services are bad for them - they either have no effect or a positive effect on an insurance companies bottom line.

As an atheist, I have a really, really hard time understanding people's fear of dying. I fear death almost not at all. Depending on the type of scenario I may confront when I die, I may feel a varying level of fear, yes, but I fear death little in myself and those around me as a general rule.

I don't understand why people - the majority of them believing in an afterlife - are so afraid of dying and would rather suffer for months. Huh?

Oddly, when I used to believe in an afterlife, I did fear death. I don't understand the shift, or if it is really related to my shift in theistic attitudes or just my growth and development as a person.

Unknown said...

We went through this with my uncle and my Dad. My uncle's bladder cancer had spread to his liver and other organs, so there was no question of further treatment. He went into hospice and in 4 weeks died a very peaceful death.

Two months ago my Dad who had be deteriorating neurologically for years, died after 4 weeks in the hospital with a heart ailment. Totally different. They sent him to rehab where he was constantly pressured to eat, do physical therapy, participate. All he wanted to do was die. He had been a successful engineer, great with math, and now he couldn't add two and two. By the time the doctor said Hospice, he was only one day away from dying.