BLOGGING FOR HEALTHCARE REFORM

And maybe more...

Deaths from Uninsured or Underinsured 2

How You Can Show Your Support

ATTEND AN AUGUST EVENT If you see healthcare reform as an important issue, perhaps the most important issue in decades, you may be getting frustrated and wondering how you can make your views known. One way is to contact your lawmakers (see sidebar). Another is to attend an event. Opponents of healthcare reform are organizing to show up at town hall meetings all over the country, and where they are in the minority, they sit in strategic spots in the audience and interrupt the speaker. They've already caught the attention of the media. Free speech is fine, but we can't allow a minority of shouters to monopolize the debate. Go to the above site and commit to attending one event in the month of August.

Blogging About Healthcare and maybe more...

How does that ad go? "This isn't a liberal or conservative issue, it's a human issue." They're talking about the environment, but it could apply to healthcare reform as well, at least in the US. That's not altruism for the 48 million and counting uninsured. It's good old American "what's in it for me" thinking for both the uninsured and the currently insured who could find themselves uninsured at any moment.

Even if you've already taken sides on healthcare reform––especially if you have––I urge you to read these posts and simply consider these points. I have a writing blog and a book review blog, and I swore I'd never add my voice to the cacophony of angry voices blogging on politics. Only there are so many people adding their voices who don't have a clue what they are talking about, that I figured my more than 10 years experience working in benefits––most of it looking for ways to contain costs without cutting benefits––might actually add something to the conversation (if you can call it that).

I promise not to make statements I can't back up with experience or research. In return I ask that you approach my posts with an open mind, and when you comment, which I hope you will, make the comments civil so that they invite further discussion. Also, please comment on this blog rather than dragging the discussion to your own blogs, so that we can all take part.

I'm open to guest posts on either side, so long as they are well-informed and cite sources. Contact me

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Bill Moyers: Obama's Moment

If you missed Bill Moyers Journal on PBS last Friday, take a moment to listen to Obama's Moment. Moyer urges the president to take a strong role in pushing for the public option.

It's one thing for average Josephines like me to say what Obama should do, but I've never held any political office let alone a high one. Moyers, on the other hand, was a major adviser to Lyndon Johnson who took part in everything from drafting bills to messages to Congress. In short, he knows a thing or two about rallying lawmakers. I've always admired Moyers' bold and intelligent editorials. I'm often moved by his words. I hope the president is as well.

No comments: